Welty Trust Creates Gracious Senior Living Options
A generous donation made more than half a century ago has made life better for thousands of people in the Ohio Valley. Clara Welty, the last surviving member of a Wheeling merchant’s family, donated her family home on Main Street to the Diocese of Wheeling in 1950 to provide residential care for elderly people. Miss Welty also used the fortune she inherited to create the Welty Trust, which has enabled the construction of six residential complexes that local seniors call home.
- Welty Home moved from downtown Wheeling to its current location on Washington Avenue in 1968. The winner of the Readers’ Choice Award for Best Assisted Living, Welty Home accommodates 52 people with private rooms, nurses on duty 24 hours a day, activities, and Daily Mass in its own chapel. The newly renovated Welty Home will soon begin offering in-house physical, speech and occupational therapy thanks to a contract with Blue Sky Therapy.
- Good Shepherd Nursing Home opened in 1970 to provide compassionate, high-quality long-term and nursing care for people over 65. For the past eight years – every year since it began ranking nursing homes – S. News & World Report magazine has named Good Shepherd one of America’s Best Nursing Homes. Good Shepherd has also earned perfect five-star ratings from the U.S. Departments of Medicare and Medicaid Services and has been named the region’s #1 Nursing Home in the Wheeling Newspapers Readers’ Choice Awards.
- To meet the need for quality apartments for seniors who can live independently, the Welty Trust constructed the Clara Welty Apartments in 1984 next door to Welty Home. The complex was so popular that Welty added a huge wing in 1993, doubling the size to 65 apartments.
- In 1992, Welty created the Braddock Apartments on the campus of Good Shepherd Nursing Home to provide apartments for seniors whose loved ones live at Good Shepherd. In 2015, Welty renovated the apartments and added a number of new units to the complex.
- The popularity of Welty apartments led to the construction of Bertha Welty Apartments across the street and slightly east of Welty Home in 2008. The Clara and Bertha Welty Apartments are rated the area’s #1 Apartments in the Readers’ Choice Awards.
- Waiting lists at all Welty apartment complexes demonstrated the need for additional senior housing. Last month Welty TownHomes opened on National Road in the same neighborhood as Bertha and Clara Welty Apartments and the Welty Home. The 12 two-bedroom townhomes include all appliances, two-car attached garages and a driveway with an electric snow-melt system. To make life easy for residents with mobility issues, there are no steps to climb when entering the home or garages.
Careful management of Miss Welty’s initial donation has enabled the creation of these outstanding senior living properties. Today more than 400 people are living in Welty properties, enjoying the advantages of a range of senior living options from independent apartments to assisted living, skilled care, and long-term nursing care.
For information about any Welty property, please visit www.weltyhome.org, or call Welty Corporation Manager Donald R. Kirsch at 304.242.1093.